Call for participants for a Beautiful Rising workshop (Amman, Jordan)
Do you want to be part of the Beautiful Rising project? Do you want to join an international network of great social movements and share your own experiences with creative activism? Then join us at a 4 day workshop April 12th – 15th 2015 in Amman, Jordan.
We’re looking for experienced activists based in Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Egypt, Tunisia, or Jordan. Please apply through this form or share in your network before the deadline for application on March 4th 2015.
We are calling for seasoned activists who ideally have:
- extensive experience with mobilising and organising communities in creative campaigns;
- an interest for writing/documenting successful action stories and tactics used (you are expected to contribute to this during the workshop and afterwards);
- extensive knowledge of social movements in the your country and/or the region, and the specific successes and challenges of these movements in driving social change;
- experience as social movement educators, trainers, analysts, theorists, commentators, or communications campaigners;
- an interest in helping to articulate the principles and best practices of effective activism and organizing.
Activists with the ability to speak and write proficiently in English are strongly preferred though translation will be available to some degree.
At the workshop you can expect to be:
- Working and creative brainstorming on best practices, tactics, and approaches used in social activism across the MENA region;
- Participating in writing sessions transforming specific stories into cases useful in other countries;
- Receiving some optional/additional training in strategic planning, networking, creative action planning;
Networking with activists from six countries across the MENA region.
You’re in charge
By attending the workshop and joining this innovative network, participants will gain a deeper understanding of tactics, principles, and theories of activism through co-developing online modules for the Beautiful Rising project and toolkit.
As such the workshop is not your ordinary training but a space where activists from diverse backgrounds can work together to identify, articulate, and disseminate better practices. It is a chance for participants to run the show – to create content that will be useful for social movements locally, regionally, and globally.
Beautiful Rising - a new and innovative project
The Beautiful Rising project seeks to form new kinds of partnerships with organizations, social movements and activist groups with the aim of creating a web-based knowledge platform on creative activism. This project seeks to strengthen the partners’ capacity and creativity in campaigning, public mobilization, advocacy and non-violent activism in the MENA region and 4 countries in Asia and Africa.
The project is co-founded by ActionAid Denmark and Beautiful Trouble. You can learn more about the project and the partners here.
Accommodation, food and refreshments during the days of the workshop are covered for all participants and those travelling from outside of Jordan will have their travel expenses covered.
Thank you for your interest.
on behalf of the Beautiful Rising team
P.S. If you’re ready to apply, the form is right here!