Call for participants for a Beautiful Rising workshop (Harare, Zimbabwe)
Do you want to join an international network of movement leaders and share your organizing experiences with creative activism? Are you interested in documenting your success stories and contributing writing and ideas to a global online toolbox for change makers? If so, we hope you’ll join us at a 4-day workshop June 2-5, 2015 in Harare, Zimbabwe.
We’re looking for experienced activists from across Zimbabwe. Please apply through this form or share in your network before the application deadline of May 10.
We are calling for seasoned activists who ideally have:
- extensive experience with mobilising and organising communities in creative campaigns;
- an interest for writing/documenting successful action stories and tactics used (you are expected to contribute to this during the workshop and afterwards);
- extensive knowledge of social movements in the your country and/or the region, and the specific successes and challenges of these movements in driving social change;
- experience as social movement educators, trainers, analysts, theorists, commentators, or communications campaigners;
- an interest in helping to articulate the principles and best practices of effective activism and organizing.
At the workshop you can expect to be:
- Working and creatively brainstorming on best practices, tactics, and approaches used in social activism;
- Using a substantial part of the time in writing sessions transforming specific stories into cases useful to activists in very different contexts for the Beautiful Rising public toolbox;
- Networking with activists from across the country;
- Receiving some optional/additional training in strategic planning, networking, or creative action planning.
A convening, not a training
By attending the workshop and joining this innovative network, participants will gain a deeper understanding of tactics, principles, and theories of activism through codeveloping online modules for the Beautiful Rising project and toolkit.
As such, the workshop is not a training but a space where activists from diverse backgrounds can work together to identify, articulate, and disseminate their practices. It is a chance for participants to run the show – to create content that will be useful for social movements locally, regionally, and globally.
Beautiful Rising - a new and innovative project
The Beautiful Rising project seeks to form new kinds of partnerships with organizations, social movements and activist groups with the aim of creating a web-based knowledge platform on creative activism. This project seeks to strengthen the partners’ capacity and creativity in campaigning, public mobilization, advocacy and nonviolent activism in diverse contexts across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
The project is co-founded by ActionAid Denmark and Beautiful Trouble. You can learn more about the project and the partners here.
Food and refreshments during the days of the workshop are covered for all participants and those travelling from outside of Harare will have their accommodation and travel expenses covered.
Thank you for your interest.
Yours sincerely, on behalf of the Beautiful Rising team
Søren Warburg ActionAid Denmark, swa(at)ms.dk
If you’re ready to apply, here’s the link to the application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wKPLvk5nBulW5FLhv4wYwNR9eRfQuR59Pc4dN9qi43c/viewform